Welcome to University of Scouting 2021!!
Thank you for participating in this year’s unique approach to U of S. While we have done everything in our power to make this as easy as possible, there may be challenges from time to time. if you are having connection issues, try the following actions:
Reload your internet browser. This often fixes most issues.
If this does not help, try resetting your wifi router and/or modem at home.
If you continue to have challenges, make sure you are following the instructions/recommendations for this event (see below.)
You may also reach our support team here:
Please text 520-329-1343 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include:
- First Name
- Phone number to receive a voice call
- Name of meeting or class you are having difficulty joining.
A technical volunteer will call you to help you with your issue. Please give them at least 2 minutes to respond.
Participant Informational and Instructional Document
- With this informational and instructional sheet you should have received your University of Scouting access link and log in password. That password is: university21
- Before logging in Saturday, January 23 at 7:59 AM, you will need to download the Zoom Desktop Client (available at https://zoom.us/download) for best functionality of this virtual platform being used for CFC 2021 Virtual University of Scouting
- Ensure that you have the latest updates for your operating system installed (MS Windows is most common operating system).
- At least 30 minutes prior to the start of the event, reboot your internet modem.
- At least 15 minutes prior to the start of the event, close all open programs, documents, apps, etc., shut down your computer and restart it. Close as many programs running in the background as possible.
- If rebooting is not possible, refresh your browser.
- If you have multiple electronic devices to choose from for use, select the one with the best operating system, processor and graphics card
- For best functionality, use hard wire connectivity of your electronic device to modem
- Ask family members to refrain from using your home’s internet bandwidth while you are attending the virtual University for best audio and video quality and to help prevent lag
- Upon logging in you will arrive at the CFC UofS landing page. On it you will see the ‘navigational map’ for the day
- First click on the ‘University of Scouting Opening Ceremony’ play button. The opening will begin at 8:00 AM
- Each time a button is selected on the navigational map page, a new tab will open
- Once the opening has completed, exit out of that tab by clicking on the ‘X’ in the top right corner. You will then be back on the navigational map page (open tab)
- To enter the college your first class is in, scroll down the page to find the button for the college your first class is in. Click on that button.
- Classes are listed in each college chronologically by period for the day
- Click on the class title for the class you will be attending
- If you enter early, there will be informational videos, links, and/or documents to look at
- When you click on course title buttons, you will be placed into a Waiting Room. When the instructor is ready for class begin, the class moderator will ‘Admit All’. If you arrive late, you will be placed into the waiting room. The moderator will allow you access within a few minutes.
- Moderators will ask that you mute your microphone by clicking on the microphone icon in the lower left corner of your screen; request that you use Speaker View; request that you do not attempt to use the Screen Share during class time
- If you have a camera built into your device, you can choose to not be seen by checking the Start Video (camera) button – a thick, red forward slash will show if you are not on camera; click on the camera button if it is on to turn it off
- Moderators will ask that you communicate with them for questions or relevant comments by using the Chat Room button located in the horizontal bar at the bottom of the Zoom screen.
- Moderators may choose to allow participants to chat only with them to limit unnecessary comments during instruction time
- Use the Chat Room function for technical questions
- To exit at the conclusion of the course, exit out of the tab (click on top right corner ‘X’)
- As long as the landing page tab is left open all day, you can navigate to your next class by again entering the college your next class is in.
- Repeat this process throughout the day
- If you want to explore colleges at any time during the day, click on the college name
- Take a look around. To exit back to the navigational page you can either close the current tab or click on the ‘Return to UofS Main Page’ button
- To visit the Midway between 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM, click on the yellow ‘Midway Program’ button. There will be several organizations represented. Those will be named within that page. You can enter at will. At least one will have videos on a loop. Most will be in person to converse with. Some of those will show short introductory organizational videos every 15 minutes or so during the 2-hour period.
- If you find that the class you are in is not meeting your expectations, you may exit the class at any time by closing the tab and can navigate to another college to find a different class. You will be placed into a waiting room as previously stated.