Based on the most recent developments regarding COVID-19 (commonly known as the coronavirus,) and following the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC,) the Central Florida Council is making temporary changes to our operations in an effort to keep Scouts and Scouters safe.
Effective immediately, and through at least May 11, the following measures are being taken by the Central Florida Council:
Central Florida Council Camp Properties:
- The Leonard and Marjorie Williams Family Scout Reservation, Camp La-No-Che, and all Central Florida Council Camp properties, are closed until further notice.
- All events/activities/bookings set to occur during that time frame are cancelled and will be rescheduled.
- Events/activities/bookings that are not able to be rescheduled will provide a transfer or refund opportunity via e-mail.
District and Council Activities:
- All District and Council activities during the above period are cancelled/postponed.
- Detailed announcements for each activity/event scheduled within the affected time period will be sent through separate communications.
- All District Roundtables for March and April are cancelled until further notice.
- District leadership meetings (Committee/Commissioner) should use digital/phone conference resources.
Regular weekly Unit Meetings/Outings:
- Unit leadership and Chartered Organizations should consider suspending regular unit meetings until further notice.
Wayne Densch Scout Service Center and Scout Shop:
- Will maintain operations during normal business hours but with limited services and staffing.
Camp Card Sales:
- To help accommodate Unit fundraising, the Council Camp Card sale will be extended through May 30.
Council Refund Policy for Cancelled Events-Activities:
- The current policy has been suspended
- Any participant who chooses not to transfer their event fee to the rescheduled event date may request a full refund via email or in writing. All requests must be made within 30 days of the original event date.
Information related to Camp and the Central Florida Council will be updated regularly via our Camp La-No-Che Health and Safety page:
BSA and Council Policies to Prevent the Spread of Illness
The Boy Scouts of America and Central Florida Council continues to have policies and procedures in place that help protect participants from contracting an illness at large Scouting events. These include the Annual Health and Medical Record and the Pre-Event Medical Screening Checklist. IT IS ADVISED THAT ALL GROUPS ATTENDING CAMP REVIEW THIS CHECKLIST WITH ALL PARTICIPANTS AND BRING A SIGNED COPY WITH THEM TO CAMP TO PRESENT AT CHECK IN.
Everyday Preventive Measures
Even with those important policies in place, it is critical that we all take these everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases:
- Stay home when you feel sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth, and wash your hands before and after doing so.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve/elbow, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Do not share personal items such as cups, water bottles, eating utensils, etc.
- Avoid shaking hands.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
If you have a fever, cough, or other symptoms associated with COVID-19, or if you believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, you should isolate and not attend any Scouting events. People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.
Should you have any questions or concerns about a specific upcoming event or activity, please reach out to your local district executive. We will do everything we can to answer your question using the information available to us.
Yours in Scouting,
Camp La-No-Che Management
Mike Evano (email@example.com)
Director of Camping
Matt Ragan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director of Support Services